SaaS (Software as a Service) is a software service system in the cloud. With this modality, the user accesses applications contracted with a third party via the Internet. The software is not physically installed at the customer’s premises. Applications and user data are hosted on an external server.
The SaaS model is part of the broader concept of “cloud computing”, services and structures hosted in the cloud, such as platforms, software applications, file or program storage spaces, all accessible via the Internet.
This cloud service modality can be complementary or alternative to the on-premises modality where the infrastructure and software are installed on the company’s local servers and devices.
Advantages of SaaS
- Money savings: The SaaS service is a more cost-effective investment than the traditional purchase of a license and installation of the software, with other notable advantages such as updates, maintenance and scalability of the service.
- Scalability: Working with applications in SaaS mode makes it possible to extend the services with new solutions that improve or complete the service, as well as greater archiving capacity, depending on the needs of the company.
- Security: SaaS providers ensure the data security of companies that use this type of solution. These are generally platforms accredited by various certifications and which contractually guarantee the integrity and confidentiality of information through mechanisms such as encryption or digital signature.
- Accessibility: The SaaS management mode allows access to applications from any location and any duly identified user.
- Maintenance and updates: SaaS solutions benefit from permanent maintenance and updates that guarantee their proper functioning and prevent them from becoming obsolete in a short time, as is the case in the on-premise modality.
This type of management implies the delegation to a third party of all the hardware and software resources necessary to launch and maintain a B2B e- commerce project . The service provider also supports the maintenance of all the technological infrastructure necessary to guarantee the optimal functioning of the applications.
Also Read: ERP On SaaS To Mitigate The Effects Of Coronavirus